Burst pipes are a serious problem for any building. These plumbing issues can create a significant amount of damage and disrupt everyday tasks in just a few minutes. They can cause water damage that may even affect the structure of your building. You can’t conduct normal business operations when water is gushing from a burst pipe. Therefore, it’s important to get help from your Houston commercial plumber straight away if you have a burst pipe or suspect you’re at risk for one. Of course, this means knowing what causes burst pipes in the first place so you can prevent these plumbing issues. In this article, we’ll discuss just that and what exactly to do if you discover a burst pipe on your property.
If you need plumbing service for your commercial or multi-family building, get in touch to schedule service or call us 24/7 at (713) 462-4753.
Ask a Houston Commercial Plumber: What Causes Pipes to Burst?
So, what exactly causes pipes to burst? There are many potential causes of burst pipes, including:
- Freezing Temperatures: Freezing temperatures can cause pipes to burst. While we don’t get freezing temperatures a lot here in Texas, we have had freezes the last few years, causing major plumbing issues. A lot of pipes burst because frozen water expands and can damage your pipes.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots are also a common culprit of burst pipes. As trees grow, they expand and seek out water and nutrients, sometimes finding them in the pipes on your property. They can grow into the pipes and cause them to crack or separate.
- Age: Time weakens pipe materials, no matter what they are. You should ask your Houston plumber about the age of your pipes and when they may be more vulnerable to bursting. Over time, pipes can develop cracks, weak spots, corrosion, and rust which all can cause burst pipes.
- Clogs: Plumbing clogs are a common yet inconvenient occurrence in many commercial properties. What you might not know is that clogs can also increase the pressure and may lead to burst pipes.
- Shifting Soil: All soil shifts a little over time, but if there are major changes in the soil, it can move the pipes as well, increasing the risk for damage and burst pipes.
- High Water Pressure: If the water pressure is too high, it can also crack the pipes. If you think you have high water pressure in your building, your Houston commercial plumbing company can test it to see if it’s high enough to damage pipes.
- Accidental Damage: Another common cause of burst pipes is accidental damage. For instance, trying to knock down a wall without checking for pipes inside, or digging holes without mapping out where the underground plumbing is.
What to Do if You Have a Burst Pipe in Your Property
If you have a burst pipe in your building, you need Houston multi-family commercial plumbing services immediately. This is a plumbing emergency because of the sheer amount of damage that can occur in just a short period of time.
Your first step is to call your Houston commercial plumber, preferably as you make your way to turn off the water main. Calling first means you have help on the way as soon as possible. Next, you should turn off the main water valve for the property to stop the flow of water.
While you wait for help from your commercial plumber, you’ll need to document the damage and clean it up as much as possible. Documenting the damage through pictures helps you in case you submit an insurance claim later for the repairs. You also want to start cleaning up the excess water as soon as possible to prevent further damage. Removing the water and trying to dry out the area can have a big impact on the amount of damage and, therefore, expense and downtime you’ll have to deal with in the aftermath.
AAA Plumbers – Trusted Local Houston Commercial Plumbing Company
When you need a Houston commercial plumber for your commercial or multi-family property, choose AAA Plumbers as your trusted plumbing company. We specialize in commercial plumbing systems and provide maintenance, repairs, and installations for all your needs. We offer 39 years in the business and are one of the top commercial plumbers in the Greater Houston area. Schedule service with our team now or call us at (713) 462-4753 for immediate assistance.