One important responsibility of any multi-family building owner is to ensure that their plumbing system meets the coding standard for the City of Houston. Failing to comply can have serious consequences like fines or legal liabilities. In addition, noncompliance can lead to frustration for tenants when plumbing does not operate properly due to a faulty setup. Houston multi-family commercial plumbing services can help you make sure all components are up to standard.
This blog post will explore what you need to know about Houston’s plumbing standards for multi-family buildings. If you need your plumbing inspected or repaired, reach out to our team today.
Overview of Houston Plumbing Standards for Multi-Family Buildings
All apartment buildings in Houston with 3 or more units are required to register with the City of Houston for Habitability Inspection purposes. These inspections ensure that buildings are meeting City standards.
For property managers and owners, ensuring that their buildings meet City plumbing standards is critical. This helps not only provide for the safety and comfort of their tenants but also avoids costly fines and repairs down the line. Compliance helps property owners avoid costly legal and financial penalties. Non-compliance can result in fines, increased liability risks, or even litigation costs. Under the Texas Property Code, if you do not repair certain elements of your property, such as ensuring your tenants have hot water, your tenant may legally pursue you. You could have to pay a civil penalty of one month’s rent plus $500, actual damages, court costs, attorney fees, moving costs, and other expenses.
From proper drainage to a reliable supply of hot water, these standards ensure that your building’s plumbing will function safely and properly. Understanding the specifics of these standards means that you will be able to create a safe and healthy living environment for tenants. You’ll also be protecting your investment in the property. Plus, it also helps save you money by using fixtures that are water and energy efficient.
Key Elements of the Houston Plumbing Standard for Multi-Family Buildings
When it comes to multi-family buildings in Houston, the plumbing standard is a critical part of ensuring the safety and health of all occupants. There are a variety of essential elements in this standard that must be followed. If you do this now, you can avoid potential problems in the future. Here is a summary of the City of Houston’s Minimum Property Standards for Multifamily Facilities in regard to plumbing:
- Every unit should have the minimum number of working bathroom fixtures including toilet, sink, and bathtub or shower.
- All plumbing fixtures should be installed safely and should work properly.
- Every dwelling should have hot and cold water in the kitchen, bathroom sinks, bathtub or shower, and laundry area. Cold water should be available for every toilet and outdoor hose.
- Water faucets should work properly without leaks or drips. They should be able to be turned easily by children or people with limited hand mobility.
- Every dwelling should have water-heating facilities that work properly and provide enough hot water for every bathroom plus general usage. The minimum amount of hot water that should be available is:
- One bedroom unit – 30 gallons
- Two bedroom unit – 40 gallons
- Three or more bedroom unit – 50 gallons or more
- Water heaters should be in a utility room, not in a bedroom, bathroom, or closet. Heaters must be properly vented and sealed with a pressure relief valve and drip leg.
- Plumbing fixtures must meet US EPA Water Sense requirements.
Rely on an Expert in Multi-Family Plumbing to Assess your System for Compliance
When it comes to complying with plumbing standards, turn to the experts in multi-family commercial plumbing services in Houston. They have the expertise and knowledge specifically tailored to the needs of multi-family properties. Whether it’s installing new plumbing systems or ensuring your building is up to standard, these professionals can help ensure that every aspect of the plumbing system is functioning properly and meeting minimum standards. With their help, you can have peace of mind knowing that your property is in compliance and operating at its best.
Houston Multi-Family Commercial Plumbing Services from AAA Plumbers
AAA Plumbers can help ensure that your building is in complete compliance with the City of Houston plumbing standards. We will inspect and repair everything thoroughly to make sure all steps are completed correctly and efficiently. So if you’re looking for reliable and affordable plumbing services for your multi-family building, contact us now to schedule a service appointment with our experts!